Yasmin Ajmal Biography
Yasmin is a solution- focused coach, trainer and supervisor working with children, young people and adults. She has extensive experience working in education – firstly as a primary teacher (full 4 – 11 age range) and subsequently as an Educational Psychologist supporting children and young people (0 – 25 years), parents and schools.
Yasmin worked with the Brief Therapy Practice in London for 10 years, taking a lead in the use of Solution Focused approaches with children and young people, and training and teaching Solution Focus both in the UK and in Europe.
She co-wrote the first British text (Solution Focused Thinking in Schools) exploring the application of a solution focused framework in the school setting.
In 2008 Yasmin worked 18 months overseas with her family as a volunteer in Zanzibar, Africa working with the Ministry of Education conducting a research project on the development of Quality Education and Effective School Leadership. Yasmin also worked closely with the Minister for secondary Education to set up a coaching programme for head teachers – training trainers as well as participants to ensure sustainability.
Yasmin currently works on a freelance basis and organisations she works with include:
- Action Duchenne – providing support and workshops for parents and older men with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy..
- Young Women’s Trust –part of the phone- coaching team supporting young women aged 16-30 struggling to live on low or no pay in England and Wales and who are at risk of being trapped in poverty, issues around gender equality and building belief in young women to take the steps forward in their lives that they want to.
- Redthread- supervising and supporting youth workers working with young people in youth violence, gang exit and well-being programmes.
- Morpeth School – supporting students with anxiety and organisational difficulties around exams.
- George Carey Primary Schoo l- working with difficult classes, coaching staff and working with the Senior Leadership team around policy development and preparing for Ofsted.
- National Health Service in Newham – devising and supporting the delivery of training/ team building/ participatory consultation programmes with the public and professionals utilising SF frameworks.